Controlling mice is an issue many businesses will have to deal with at some time, especially those who have food or store food products on their premises.
Dealing with a mouse infestation
Our professional, discreet pest service offers solutions to solve your mouse problems quickly and effectively:
- 24 hour response guaranteed from BPCA certified and knowledgeable local technicians who will advise on ways to keep your premise mouse free in the future
- Call us NOW on 0800 917 1989 to arrange for your FREE business site survey from an experienced Rentokil Surveyor
- Mouse problems at home? Visit our home pest control section for advice on getting rid of mice from your home or garden
Signs of a Mouse Problem
Mice are usually nocturnal creatures, so if you think you may have mouse activity the typical signs to watch out for are:
- Mouse droppings (thin, spindle shaped approx. 5mm long).
- Mouse smears - grease marks from the mouse body as it is repeatedly brushed up against objects.
- Damaged commodities and damage to the fabric of premises from continuous gnawing.
- Mouse nesting materials — shredded insulation, cardboard, paper, wood, plastics etc...
- Peculiar smell - mice leaves an ammonia-like smell, that is particularly strong in enclosed areas.
Potential Risks from mice
- Mice are known to spread infections such as Salmonella, Hantavirus, Lyme disease and Weil's disease. They are also carriers of ectoparasites - fleas, mites etc...
- Damage to stock and buildings. A mouse has sharp teeth and can gnaw through cables, plastic, cardboard, wood and even doors. The gnaw marks they leave are chisel-like parallel grooves.
- Contamination of foodstuffs and goods. On the underside of mice, the wet fur soaked in urine can transmit bacteria and viruses to work surfaces, table tops or anywhere the rodent has climbed.
Business Consequences of a Mouse Infestation
- Damage — to goods, foodstuffs and your health and hygiene reputation. Any mouse control issues will have a negative effect on your Scores on the Doors food hygiene rating. Commodities that are contaminated by mouse activity cannot be used by law and must be disposed of safely.
- Alarm — immediate loss of customer, guest and employee trust and confidence in the business, which can damage a good reputation.
- Cost — can be considerable if fines are imposed or compensation is required. Temporary business closure may be necessary while problems are rectified.
- Legal implications — failure to comply with legislation, such as the Prevention of damage by Pests Act (1949), Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) and Food Safety Act (1990) can lead to fines, premise closure and in very severe circumstances a possible prison sentence.
- Call free on 0800 917 1989 to arrange prompt control and removal of mice with a planned and carefully monitored programme of rodenticides. All pest services to exclude rodents are handled by qualified and experienced Rentokil technicians.
- Use our innovative bait free mouse RADAR (Rodent Activated Detection And Riddance) particularly in sensitive business areas, including food preparation environments. It is a highly effective method of detecting, capturing and isolating mice efficiently, hygienically and humanely.
- PestNetOnline monitoring & analysis system should be used in conjunction with mouse RADAR to provide real-time, customised reporting and pest trend analysis to help anticipate potential rodent risks and develop proactive pest prevention.
- Mouse Monitor Units - a non-toxic monitoring system that provides early, accurate warning of mouse activity using infra-red sensor technology. This allows swift treatment of targeted areas to eliminate the mouse problem, whilst minimising the use of rodenticides.
- Get help and advice on rodent proofing your premises from Rentokil experts. Minimise the risk of rodent entry with a bespoke programme of proofing - from void filling to block hidden access points to installing bristle strips to protect doorways and entrances.
- Thermal imaging surveys - using infra-red technology to quickly identify rodent harbourages in cavity walls, inaccessible voids and other hidden places. Night time inspections can take place when mice are most active - with minimal business disruption.
- Schedule regular pest control service visits from qualified, local Rentokil technicians to prevent any further mouse population outbreaks.
Use biocides safely. Always read the label and product information before use. Rentokil RADAR mouse control unit contains the active ingredient carbon dioxide.