During the cold winter months, we’re more prone to getting ill and many of us take extra precautions as a result. From dosing up on vitamins and eating a bit healthier to wrapping up warm when we go outside and being more thorough when we’re washing our hands, we’ll do anything we can to avoid catching a cold.
While we’re so busy protecting ourselves from coughs and sneezes, we forget that there are other ways that viruses and diseases can spread. As the temperatures plummet and food sources become increasingly scarce, mice can be a big problem as they look to find ways into our warm homes, when it’s freezing cold outside.
Signs of a mouse infestation
Mice tend to be nocturnal and can therefore go undetected for a long time. You may start to notice a couple of signs however:
- You can hear scratching noises, especially at night.
- You’ve noticed an unusual, ammonia-like smell.
- There are small, dark droppings â€“ don’t forget to check inside or on top of cupboards and along skirting boards.
- You can see grease marks â€“ these are caused by mice brushing against walls, floors and skirting boards, causing dark smears around holes or corners.
- Urine pillars â€“ if you have a heavy infestation or you’ve had mice for a long time and didn’t know about it, small mounds made up of body grease, dirt and urine may build up.
- You may notice footprints, especially in dusty environments. If you want to check for activity, sprinkle flour, talcum powder or china clay and check back the next day for fresh tracks.
The dangers of a rodent infestation
Whether it’s in your home or a business premises, a rodent infestation is unpleasant. Not only can it seriously damage the reputation of a company, it can lead to health problems including:
- Weil’s disease
Signs of infection of any of the above may include chest pains, nausea, vomiting, fever, chills and/or a rash.
How to treat a mouse infestation
At Rentokil, we provide individually tailored solutions to effectively eliminate mice from your premises. We offer a number of mouse control solutions including:
RapidPro Riddance â€“ if you have a mouse problem, one of our BPCA qualified staff will visit your premises to identify the source. Tamper-resistant bait stations will be laid down to encourage the mice to feed from a new source. The feed contains RapidPro acute rodenticide, once ingested, the formula will act on the rodent’s central nervous system and put them to sleep quickly and permanently.
RADAR Mouse Trap – our Rodent Activated Detection and Riddance mouse trap has been designed specifically for high-risk business environments. A bait-free and humane trap, this product discretely and effectively reduces mouse populations.
PestConnect â€“ Rentokil’s PestConnect service is an online system which provides continuous protection, monitoring and response against mice. Using wireless technology, traps are monitored 24/7 and if a mouse is detected or the trap is activated, an alert is triggered.
If you would like more information about any of our mouse control services, please feel free to contact Rentokil and we will be more than happy to help.