Black mould is a common household problem caused by the build-up of moisture through poor ventilation and high levels of humidity in the air (condensation).
Widely recognised by its characteristic dark colouring, black mould can lead to further problems if left untreated including damage to paint/wallpaper décor and, in extreme cases due to the spores produced, potential health issues over a time.
The key thing to take away however, is that signs of black mould is a typical indication of too much moisture within the property that needs to be addressed through either excess heating, insulation, ventilation or a combination of all three in your property that needs to be addressed. If you are concerned about black mould then read on to learn more about what to look out for, what you can do and the options available to treat black mould within your property.
As with any case of black mould, no two instances will look exactly alike. Black mould around the home will vary depending on the levels of moisture and humidity in the air, but the tell-tale signs of black mould in a property include:
Black mould has two states depending on the environment, an active and inactive state.
As Black mould begins to germinate, the outbreak will appear black or dark green. It may also be wet or slimy to touch due to mould absorbing moisture from the atmosphere. If you notice the black mould issue getting larger in size it may indicate the mould is active. The black mould will continue to grow until the source of the moisture has been removed.
Black mould in an inactive state merely means the water that was allowing the mould to grow has been removed or reduced causing the mould to dry out. This leaves behind a dry and powdery grey fungus that can be removed using a variety of mould cleaning products. This does not mean that black mould has been eradicated as spores can remain ready to germinate again. Additionally, depending on how long the black mould has been there you may have some staining/decorative damage within the area.
The most significant contributors to black mould are excess moisture from everyday living and poor ventilation. You may be surprised to know how much water vapour (moisture) is generated in the home from essential actions like washing, cleaning and even breathing. The average family of four can produce approximately 4 pints of water a day and as we are spending up to 90% of our lives indoors. This means moisture needs to be ventilated continuously.
As a result, water vapour lingering in the air from poor ventilation looks for a means to escape. Homes suffering from insufficient ventilation will always be suspectible of developing black mould. As our homes become more insulated in order to retain heat and reduce heating cost, the natural ventilation in our properties becomes restricted creating the perfect atmosphere for black mould to grow. Water from faulty plumbing or leaks can also lead to black mould if left over time using a similar process.
If moisture has no way to ventilate cold surfaces with organic material such as wallpaper or paint will absorb the water vapour, and over time the area will begin to feel damp, hence the damp odour. Combined with black mould spores from the air they will begin to germinate once the surface reaches the dew point.
At Rentokil Property Care, we understand the sight and smell of black mould can be an unappealing experience that no one wants in their own home. If it is the case that you do suspect you have a black mould problem, then we are here to help.
Our team of damp experts will be able to assess and diagnose the extent of your black mould issue and provide you with the best recommendations to effectively relieve the problem.
The first step we would recommend is clicking the button below to download our guide to black mould and condensation to help determine if your black mould problem requires DIY or professional treatment.
Find out what real Rentokil Property Care customers are saying about our services.